Author: Jamie Ayres
Release Date: January 24, 2012
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press
Rating: 4 stars
Can eighteen things save a life?
Olga Gay Worontzoff thinks her biggest problems are an awful name (after her grandmothers of course) and not attending prom with Conner, her best friend and secret crush since kindergarten. Then Conner is killed in a freak boating accident and Olga feels responsible.
When she downs an entire bottle of pills to deal with the emotional pain, her parents force her into counseling. There, her therapist writes a prescription in the form of a life list titled 18 Things. Eighteen quests to complete the year of her eighteenth birthday. All she has to do is fire-walk, try out for the cheerleading squad, break a world record, and err… go on her first date.
Good thing Nate, a new hottie in town, enters her life with perfect timing. He brings the fun factor to her list and helps her discover the beauty and strength inside herself, then complicates things by falling in love with her.
But there’s more to Olga’s quests than meets the eye and when her therapist reveals a terrifying secret, her world is shaken.
There’s only one thing she knows for certain: her choices won’t just affect her future, but all eternity.
I REALLY enjoyed this book. I am trying to be creative in the way I write reviews so for this one since the title is 18 Things I am going to list 18 Things I liked about the book.
1. It was a good steady pace and well written
2. I could relate to each character in their own struggles and also as a group trying to make things better.
3. The devastation, guilt, and all the other “bad” feelings as I call them. They feel real like I was right there going thru it too. Not just reading about it
4. I love that 18 things list of goals she set. Some were a little far fetched like the fire walking but I still liked it.
5. Nate. I like that Nate brought forth fun, even if at times it was reckless aren’t all teenagers reckless at some point boy I was.
6. Over time, gradually, Olga even though she still felt those bad feelings she started coping better with them
7. I liked how Olga was torn about her attraction towards Nate. It was like this almost love triangle except the only problems were Conner isn’t alive anymore and she felt guilty for having feelings toward Nate so she is trying to supress them.
8. The final twist: WOW, I never even seen that coming!!
9. The clues that she had and told her the final truth was the actual truth.
… …. Ok so coming up with 18 things that I like without giving away too many details that would give anything away has proven to be too difficult. However I tried. 9 will just have to be good enough. 9 and the fact that I just really enjoyed the book. I am in the process of reading the second book of this series called 18 Truths. Thus far I like it just as much. I definitely recommend this book to all my friends. We all struggle from time to time with many different things but I believe no matter what we struggle with we will always get through it. We may not see the tiny speck of light at the end of the tunnel but if we just keep putting one foot in front of the other there is an end to it or maybe not an end but it becomes easier to deal with as time passes. Time doesn’t heal all wounds to me, time just makes it easier to deal with. If you have already read this book what did you think? I would love to hear your thoughts!